- Brush for 2-minutes in the morning and 2-minutes at night.
- Timing Matters – Brush after breakfast.
- Floss every day.
- Timing Matters – Floss at bedtime.
- Use a fluoridated toothpaste. We can write a prescription for a high fluoride toothpaste (for patients who are high risk for cavities.)
- When wearing an appliance (e.g. Invisible or clear braces,) take it out to eat or drink. Brush and floss before you put it back in.
- Avoid sugary foods.
- Timing Matters – if you eat a bag of Skittles, it is better to eat the whole bag in one sitting rather than eating one skittle every thirty minutes, which keeps the pH in your mouth below the critical pH of 5.5, below which your teeth dissolve away.
- Drink a lot of water to help wash away plaque.
- Don’t drink energy drinks. They are terrible for your teeth and your body.
If you have trouble booking online, call us at 512-454-2744.
Dr. Russell McFarlane